Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Faithful Watchdogs

Our family has two dogs: Shasta, our beautiful, loyal Border Collie, and Nikki, my... well, let's just say my cute but not-so-smart little ragamuffin.

Shasta and Nikki.
 It's easy to think that our dogs just play all day long and never work at all! But today, as I observed Shasta out of our from window, I noticed different. As I watched, Shasta sat down right in the middle of our driveway by the main road. She wasn't just sitting resting--she was sitting very erect and rigid, her ears pricked. She didn't know that I was watching her, and I smiled as she gazed intently over the landscape from horizon to horizon. She perked up at any little noise that could mean danger for us--her family. As I sat there watching Shasta, I realized that our dogs do not just goof around all day. They are on duty--guard duty--to protect the family that they love. Sure they play together and have fun with the cat now and then, but every so often they take a moment out of their playtime to make sure that there is no potential dangers lurking near that could harm their family!

Oh, and there's one other special job I should mention that only Shasta holds. That very important job is of "Cat Stalker." Humans would probably argue that that isn't a job at all, but only a dog would know just how important a Cat Stalker really is. Shasta knows, and she takes her job seriously!

Shasta stalking Scamper's every move.

No comments:

Post a Comment